Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Beginner's Mind and the Musician

Hey Heroes! Happy Wednesday!

I was doing some reading this week and came up with a little quote that really spoke to me.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - Shunryu Suzuki

Kind of backwards from what's taught here in America, huh? I mean, we're always taught that there are no possibilities open to us till we've built seniority, paid our dues, put in the hours, or gotten our degree. That's just the way it is right?

Right?

I think what Suzuki-roshi was saying is that, when we feel that we have become "expert" in something, we close our minds to possibilities outside of our "expertise". The more we know, the less we see, kind of thing.

That got me to thinking. I know, dangerous isn't it? But, what if there's some truth to that. What if we close ourselves to options as we progress? In his book (Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind), Suzuki-roshi is talking about a concept known as Beginner's Mind, approaching each day with the open wonder of the beginner.

Do you remember when you first heard a tune? You know, way back in the day! As I reflected on Suzuki-roshi's words I came to the realization that the darkest times in my musical life have been when my desire to excel in a certain area kept me from exploring everything that music has to offer. Those times when I locked myself into a style and wouldn't open the door to anything that didn't come stamped with the Punk Rock Seal of Approval.

My challenge to myself, and to you too should you choose to accept it, is to try to approach each and every day with the wonderment of the Beginner's Mind, and keep myself open to all the possibilities that Music has to offer. We may just come across that ideal sound we've been searching for, or that perfect marketing plan that no one else has thought of. We may even find that, in diversity and openness, our true path to Independence and musical freedom opens before us like a super highway.

Later,

No comments: