Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Do you treat it like a business?

Hey Heroes! It's Wednesday again! I hope you're all having a wonderful week.

I'm all about the quotes these last few weeks, so let me share this one with you. It comes from John Assaraf, author of "The Answer".

"If you treat your business like a business it will pay you like a business, if you treat your business like a hobby it will cost you like a hobby."

Now, I honestly can't remember if I've used this quote before or not, but if I have, it's still worth repeating.

This is the point where the Pro gets separated from the Amateur. This is where WE have to decide if we're in music to make a living, or if we buy into the "Weekend Warrior" ideal. So, what's it gonna be?

Music is supposed to be fun, but I guarantee there isn't a successful band on the planet that doesn't look at the business side of their Art with as much respect as the fun parts. If there are, they won't have any long term success. I've seen it happen. I've been in those bands. Too much time partying, not enough time working out songwriter shares, or funds distribution, or..............

So, how do we strike that balance of Business/Casual? For myself, it really helps to set a daily schedule. I have hours. I have a start time, a lunch time, and a quitting time for my business day. I split the day in half. The first half is the business end (licensing, registrations, web work, email,etc.), the second half is for writing, recording, and rehearsing.

The point is that, showing up and treating it as a work day creates a structure that helps me to take it more seriously and to look for the kinds of opportunities that will grow my Art into a successful business. It also allows me to focus my efforts and accomplish more.

So, do you treat your Art like a business?

No comments: