Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Social Media and the Numbers Game

Okay, so I just did a bit of a purge on my friends list over at Facebook. Why? Was it because I've had some sort of falling out with people? Nope. Was it because they offended me? No, not that either.

The fact is that I have a tendency to add people in good faith. Especially if they don't come off as being some sort of cam whore. So, in the course of things, I've added several people who pester me every day with the same request to join their group or "like" their page.

Now, we all have our agendas in life, and we all have our motivations, but if a person ignores my page suggestion, you bet I'm not going to pester them with it again the next day.

You see, Social Media will lose it's magic, the thing that makes it work, so long as people continue to approach it as a numbers game. It's really about interaction and building relationships, not seeing who can get the biggest following. You know, I'm not perfect in interacting with everyone on my lists, but I put in the effort. Just like any other thing in life, or in business for that matter, it's the quality of our lists, not the quantity. It's what we can do for the people we interact with on a daily basis, not what they can do for us.

Come on people! At least have other interactions with people if you're going to bombard them with requests every day. It's the Social thing to do!

No comments: