Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Effects of Negative Input

Hey all,

As I said last week, my topic for today is the negative input that we are subjected to on a daily basis.

It's my contention that from a young age we are inundated with negativity. In fact, it's become a Social norm and I don't really think that anyone thinks anything of it. The reason for that is that it's super easy to rationalize the tactic as a benefit. Let me explain what I mean by that.

Parents feel that it's their responsibility to shield us from the hurtful things in life. It's instilled in all of us that our children are the most important things in our lives and must be protected. It's mandated by Society and Church, and it upheld by the Law, but it's also a broad and sweeping demand of people who really have no idea of what it truly means. One of my favorite sayings is "Babies don't come with instructions!", and it's true. This leads most parents to rely on the example their parents set, whether right or wrong.

When you decided to be a musician, were you encouraged to run with it and be the best you could be? Were you, like me, discouraged, or encouraged to "make sure you have a back up plan, because you really can't make a living being a musician"? I think the answer is pretty telling seeing the relative small numbers of "Successful" musicians in the world as compared to the number of bands beating themselves up in small clubs and bars every night for free drinks and cut of the door. But Mom and Dad did their job, they planted that seed in your subconscious that said "I'm going to have to have a back-up plan, because I'm not going to be able to support myself with music alone". Did they mean to? I'd say in most cases, no. Most parents truly do want what is best for their kids and don't realize the harm they're causing.

Parents aren't the only well meaning negative influences though. Our friends, our band mates, our teachers, our....................................yeah, you get the point.

So, what does this do to us? Well, I guess that depends on our mindset. Do we have the single-minded determination to pursue our dreams at any cost? Are we willing to find new friends, fire band mates, and limit time spent with family? Are we willing to find tools to help "re-train" the brain into positive and beneficial thinking? Are we really ready to start working for what we want? Or, is that just too much to ask of ourselves?

Take a little bit of time and really challenge what you think about success and see if you're working on negativity or if you're really positive you can make it. Next week I'm going to talk a little bit about making the commitment to changing you're mind about what success means.

Later,

No comments: