Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Beware The Undertow!!

It's funny how you can set out with a really great agenda, I don't know, something like just do a weekly update about the state of the music industry and what it means to Indie musicians, maybe. Then you get out in the deep water of it and the undertow just sucks you under and you resurface ten miles down river. I hate swimming.

This week EMI did something. They're still fighting Pirates in some bay in Sweden. Bob Lefsetz is still trying to save face from his thrashing at the hands of Gene Simmons. Metallica, the gods of Thrash Metal and fan abuse, are being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Iggy Pop is getting older while, for some odd reason, Paul McCartney is getting younger. Chris Brown and Rhianna have gotten back together and are singing about it. Diddy continues to be on the right side of awesome. And last, but certainly not least Britney's p&%*y is hanging out. However that happens.

Yep, stuff keeps happening in the music world, but this week only one thing really stood out to me as REALLY cool. The members of Blur reunited for SXSW. How cool is that?

The thing I like about Blur is that every member of that band seems to personify the passion of music making. It exudes from their albums, and you can hear every laugh, every tear, and every bit of tension that took place in the making of it.

That bit of news this week was the branch overhanging the river for me to grab onto and pull myself out of that mess a couple paragraphs back. It was also the mirror to remind me of why it is that I love making music so much.

So, I've been doing some thinking. I really appreciate the feedback that I've gotten from some of you and hope to continue that relationship, but I felt the need to start guiding this blog in the direction of more of a chronicle of the time I spend in the studio making music. After all, isn't that what we're all about? I hope you all continue on with me, but I understand if you decide not to.

Love and Rock n Roll!

Paul

No comments: