Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Does Music Still Stir the Soul?

Does Top 40 radio speak to you? Does popular music make you feel anything besides confusion as to which sound alike band is being shilled to you? Does music still stir the soul of the masses?

It's no secret that CD sales are way down over the last few years, and while downloads of certain artists are there, does that method really work for the Indie? Is it possible to make a decent living as a touring musician anymore? Is any of that actually the point?

In order for our music to stir the souls of others, it has to stir ours first. We have to have a passion for it. Sure, there's some success associated with the prefab kinds of acts that permeate the radio these days, but what's the shelf life of your throw away pop princesses? The Miley Cyrus's of the world may have the business savvy, or management that does, to build a small empire, but how many songs of theirs can you actually name?

The more I think of the way this game is played anymore, the more I think I'd be much happier writing music that I enjoy and hope that it touches others. If it doesn't though, I'm okay with that, cause at least I know that I love it. In the grand scope of life, that's all that really matters. I'm going to stir my own soul, you can listen in if you'd like.

No comments: