Monday, June 21, 2010

There's no more IDEAL time than RIGHT NOW!

It's true. There will never be a more ideal time to launch our new projects, record our new album, book our next show, or take over our next town or city, than RIGHT NOW!

A lot of times, as artists, we spend time looking for our opening. We try to build the perfect beast and then frustrate ourselves when it never seems to see the light of day. We toil for our perfection. We destroy ourselves over tiny details that just don't seem to come out right. We fixate, obsess, and dwell.

I do anyway.

So, I'm making the conscious decision to say "Fuck it!" and just make the most out of what I've got.

My new band, Tailhook Echo, the one I've been working on for the past two or three years, finally starts rehearsing this next week. I love the songs, I love the sound, I love everything about it, so long as I don't dwell on the little things. But I'm going to launch it and let it be what it is. I have to trust that others will see in these songs, what I see in them. That they will hear what I was feeling when I wrote them. That my art will translate in a way that speaks to others. But, dammit, I have to put it out there for myself. As long as I like it, and my bandmates like it, then I trust it will speak to others as well.

In the words of Sir Richard Branson: "Screw it! Let's do it!

No comments: